HCA Houston Healthcare Clear Lake provides sophisticated, world-class medicine with the comfort, care, and convenience of a community hospital. Since 1972, we have been providing high-quality, comprehensive healthcare to the Bay Area Houston region.
At HCA Houston Healthcare Clear Lake, the educational training and environment prepare our residents for a lifetime of learning.
Pharmacy residency program
This program is designed for the pharmacy graduate who intends to pursue hospital pharmacy, clinical pharmacy practice, or a PGY2 specialty pharmacy residency. Our residents are provided with the experience necessary to practice in a wide variety of hospital settings and pursue additional specialist training. Our program prepares the pharmacy resident to become board certified, through the Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties (BPS).
PGY1 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
A solid and excellent clinical and pharmacy operation foundation is developed through robust clinical experiences in areas such as internal medicine, critical care, cardiology, emergency medicine, infectious disease, antimicrobial stewardship, teaching and clinical research. In addition, dynamic leadership and medication safety rotations are offered as well.
Must be graduates or candidates for graduation of an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) accredited degree program (or one in process of pursuing accreditation) or have a Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee (FPGEC) certificate from the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). At a minimum, the program must be a five-year pharmacy degree program.
- Evidence of participation in the NMS- ASHP Resident Matching Program
- Letter of intent
- College of pharmacy transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
For more information or to apply to our program contact:
Laura Blackburn, PharmD, BCPS, BCCCP
Residency Program Director
Clinical Pharmacy Manager
Phone: (281) 338-3256
Requirements for program completion
- Attendance of residency orientation and completion of all required competencies
- Completion of designated educational goals and critical learning objectives dictated by residency accreditation standards
- Completion of all rotations and key rotational elements
- Completion of all designated presentations
- Completion of a Grand Rounds seminar presentation
- Completion of a longitudinal research project
- Preparation and presentation of a Medication Use Evaluation (MUE)
- Attendance and presentation of research project at ASHP Midyear
- Attendance and presentation of research project at TSHP ALCALDE Conference
- Preparation of a research manuscript suitable for publication and approved by RPD
- Completion of teaching certificate through the University of Houston College of Pharmacy
- Completion of residency portfolio
- Achievement and maintenance of BLS and ACLS certifications
- Completion of required weekend staffing responsibilities
- Completion of all rotation and preceptor evaluations
- Completion of pharmacy residency program, RPD, and research project evaluations
As part of the program, residents will participate in the University of Houston College of Pharmacy teaching certificate. In addition, HCA Houston Healthcare Clear Lake is a rotation site for pharmacy students.
We are currently affiliated with the University of Houston and The University of Texas at Austin Colleges of Pharmacy. We accept pharmacy students for IPPE and APPE rotations where they may rotate in areas such as cardiology, critical care, emergency medicine, infectious diseases, internal medicine, and management.