HCA Houston Healthcare Northwest is dedicated to attracting and supporting the growth and development of the best and brightest nurses the nursing profession has to offer. Through these exceptional nurses are patients and their families will receive exceptional care provided with compassion.
HCA Houston Northwest has achieved ANCC Pathway to Excellence® designations twice and is currently on the Journey to Magnet Excellence®. We believe that speaks volumes as to the unique environment that HCA Houston Northwest has that encourages nurses to grow, learn, hone leadership skills and do what they do best—provide exceptional patient care.
HCA Houston Northwest nurses are empowered
Whether you’re driven to research, expanding your education, evidence-based practice or serving on leadership committees HCA Houston Northwest’s nurses are challenged with opportunities and respected for what they bring to their roles:
- Each member of nursing services has an individual responsibility to pursue professional growth and development in order to maintain and advance knowledge, skills and competency for exemplary professional practice. We accomplish by supporting the RN to BSN progression, achievement of advanced degrees and national professional certification.
- Nurses are encouraged to innovate. HCA Houston Healthcare offers a Center for Clinical Advancement where nurses have specially designed space to innovate. In addition, nurses are encouraged every day to contribute to developing new processes and ways of enhancing their work environment, improving patient safety and the patient experience and collaborating on interdisciplinary teams.
- The facility is committed to supporting our academic partners and advancing the profession by providing multiple clinical educational experiences for nursing and allied health students and by collaborating with instructors to impact curriculum development and graduate quality.
- Each member of nursing services has an individual responsibility to promote and enhance the patient experience with respect to our customers. A commitment to an exceptional patient experience is integrated into our Excellence ALWAYS culture.
- Nursing care is guided by evidence-based practices and research.
- Nursing will take the leadership role in responding to global issues in nursing and the changing healthcare marketplace in meeting the needs of our customers.
- We are committed to supporting advocacy in the profession and support professional involvement in professional organizations.
- We are committed to collaborating with others and sharing our expertise. We have the responsibility to maintain high ethical standards and to promote the image of the professional nurse.
- We are committed to the ongoing growth and development of every nurse.
Reward and recognition
HCA Houston Northwest values recognition for our exceptional nurses. Our Nurses are a part of the International DAISY Award Program that honors exceptional nurses, each monthly recognition is highlighted on our DAISY Award Wall of Honor. Many of our nurses have also been recognized by the Houston Chronicle Top 100 Nurses program and the Good Samaritan Foundation for Excellence in Nursing. HCA Houston Northwest recognizes certification as a central responsibility to the practice of professional nursing. Each certified colleague is recognized on our Wall of Excellence, which lists the department and each certification obtained. Our certified nurses are invited to participate in a Certified Nurses Day celebration annually. These are just a few of the ways our nurses have been recognized.
Annual Nursing Report
HCA Houston Northwest proudly releases an annual report that highlights the excellent care and compassion that our teams provide. With this annual report, we celebrate nursing at HCA Houston Northwest by reflecting on our accomplishments, promoting our Pathway to Excellence® and Journey to Magnet Excellence® focus. Additionally, we have the opportunity to rejoice in our commitment to making a difference in the lives of those we serve.
Nursing services professional practice model
Our professional practice model* (PPM) is the conceptual framework for our nurses, nursing care, and interprofessional patient care. It is a schematic description that depicts how our nurses' practice, collaborate, communicate, and develop professionally to provide the highest-quality care to our patients.
The PPM illustrates the alignment and integration of nursing practice with the mission, vision, values, and philosophy that nursing has adopted. Our care delivery system is integrated within our PPM and promotes continuous, consistent, efficient, and accountable delivery of nursing care.
What does our model mean?
The Outer Circle includes Quality Outcomes, Evidenced-Based, Collaboration, Shared Governance and Professional Development.
- Quality Outcomes – Nurses practice at every level of healthcare operation to improve patient outcomes in all areas of care.
- Evidence-Based – Nurses participate in innovative practices as well as using a problem-solving approach to clinical decision-making within our health care organization that integrates the best available scientific evidence to guide their practice
- Collaboration – Nurses have interprofessional collaborative partnerships with all members of the healthcare team. This collaboration results in open and objective information sharing, delivery of care and evaluation of outcomes for each patient.
- Shared Governance – Nurses have the ability to share information and promote practices to increase structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice, transformational leadership, and knowledge and innovation.
- Professional Development – Nurses seek professional development to enhance their professional practice. HCA Houston Healthcare recognizes and rewards nurses for their professional contributions to advancing their practice and profession in their nursing practice.
The Inner Circle which includes Holistic, Commitment, Integrity, and Compassion all reflect the nursing attributes that promote a healthy clinical environment where each colleague is respected.
- Holistic – When caring for colleagues and patients, nurses treat the whole person, taking into account the body, mind, spirit, culture, socioeconomic background, and environment.
- Commitment – Nurses are dedicated to provide optimal patient care and enhance the nursing profession.
- Integrity – Nurses are honest, have strong moral principles and possess moral uprightness that is reflected in their patient care.
- Compassion – Nurses are empathetic and show genuine concern for others.
The Diamond Plus – As a diamond represents lifelong commitment, faithfulness and is a symbol of a promise; the nurses of HCA and the care they give represent this same commitment to their patients. The diamond in the center represents the patients and their families that we serve.
Through our Professional Practice Model, we create and sustain a culture of quality and care that continually reflects that “Above all else we are committed to the care and improvement of human life”.