Giving birth to a sick or premature baby is a very hard and stressful time for any parent. You can rest assured that our designated Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at HCA Houston Healthcare Northwest is prepared and equipped with everything you need to get your newborn healthy and strong. If your baby requires extra medical attention, they will go straight from the delivery room to our NICU.
The NICU is not necessary nor designed for every baby. It is a special place for babies that need a higher level of care. Babies that require care provided by the NICU are usually admitted within the first 24 hours after birth. The length of time a baby spends in the NICU depends on the severity of their conditions. Babies may be admitted to the NICU if they:
- Are premature
- Have a low birth weight
- Experienced difficulties during delivery
- Show signs of a problem shortly after birth
For more information about our neonatal intensive care unit, please call (281) 318-4260.
Our Level II NICU care
We are proud to be one of the state's 61 designated Level III NICUs by the Texas Department State of Health Services. We have the advanced technology and training to address the special needs of newborns in need of NICU care. A neonatologist is in-house 24 hours a day, along with high-tech incubators, monitoring systems and specialized treatments to keep infants warm, safe and working toward coming home.
Our Level III NICU has the capabilities of Level I and Level II nurseries, in addition to advanced Level III comprehensive care. Our Level III NICU is able to:
- Provide care for infants born at 32 weeks gestation or older or a weight of 1500 grams or greater who are moderately ill with problems expected to resolve quickly.
- Provide care for infants who are feeding and growing stronger or recovering after intensive care.
- Provide mechanical ventilation for a brief duration or continuous positive airway pressure
- Stabilize infants born before 32-weeks gestation and weighing less than 1500 grams until transfer to a neonatal intensive care facility.
NICU at HCA Houston Healthcare
The neonatal intensive care unit works to provide critical care to newborns who are ill or premature. Many factors may lead to a newborn being admitted to the NICU, including low birth weight or complications during delivery. The NICU staff works closely with parents to develop a treatment plan for their newborn.Learn about NICU