Getting a good night’s sleep is easy for some, but for others, it’s a problem that, in some cases, is potentially dangerous. More than 100 million Americans fail to get a good night’s sleep, according to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
Sleep center in Conroe, Texas
The Sleep Disorders Center at HCA Houston Healthcare Conroe is staffed with expert sleep specialists who assess and diagnose sleep-related conditions. Our hospital-based sleep center in Conroe, Texas provides the latest in sleep technology, and our sleep doctors are CPR certified.
For more information, or to schedule a sleep study, please call (936) 539-7790.
Common sleep disorders and treatments
HCA Houston Healthcare Conroe is fully equipped to provide sleep disorder treatment for a variety of conditions including:
- Insomnia: The inability to fall or stay asleep
- Restless leg syndrome (RLS): Characterized by a tickling or twitching sensation that is only relieved by moving the legs
- Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD): When limbs move involuntarily during sleep
- Narcolepsy: When the brain is unable to regulate sleep-wake cycles, leading to excessive sleepiness and daytime sleep attacks
- Circadian rhythm disorders: The inability to sleep and wake at normal times; most common in shift workers and frequent travelers
CPAP therapy for sleep apnea
Sleep apnea, a sleep disorder with a potentially dangerous outcome if left untreated, occurs when a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep, which may occur hundreds of times during the night. It affects people of all ages, both genders and every body type, but is most common in men older than 40 years old. Obstructive sleep apnea and diabetes are often co-morbid.
The sleep specialists at HCA Houston Healthcare Conroe help with diagnosis and recommend effective continuous positive airway pressure, or CPAP therapy. CPAP therapy involves the use of mild air pressure to keep airways open while asleep.
The sleep doctors and sleep specialists at our Sleep Disorders Center in Conroe, Texas will observe and monitor your nighttime sleep for one night—although depending on your sleep problem, it may be two nights. In some cases, you may be scheduled for a series of daytime nap tests.
Sleep technicians record your sleep with state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment, and a sleep medicine physician interprets your study. Results will be sent to your referring physician.
Below is what you can expect at your sleep study with HCA Houston Healthcare Conroe:
- You will sleep in a quiet, temperature-controlled individual bedroom.
- You will be connected to electrodes that monitor:
- Brain waves
- Eye movement
- Muscle tone
- Heart rate and rhythm
- Breathing flow and effort
- Leg movement
- Oxygen saturation
- Carbon dioxide levels
- Sleep state and quality
Sleep center studies are conducted Monday through Saturday from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Sleep study candidates
If any of the following statements apply to you, you may benefit from a sleep study:
- I am tired all the time.
- I don't feel refreshed, even after sleeping all night.
- I have been told that I snore.
- I’m sleeping during the day.
- I toss and turn a lot in my sleep.
- I stop breathing in my sleep.
- I have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.
- I am forgetful or have trouble concentrating when I’m awake.
- I often take sleeping pills to fall asleep.
- I have been told that I kick or hit my bed partner during sleep.
- I have a creepy, crawling feeling in my legs when I lie down or try to relax.
Sleep studies for children
The sleep clinic at HCA Houston Healthcare Conroe also treats pediatric sleep disorders. Studies show that two out of every three children younger than 10 years old experience a sleep disorder and may benefit from a sleep study.
Your child may benefit from a sleep study he or she experiences:
- Breathing problems or loud breathing
- Bed wetting
- Teeth grinding
- Sleep walking
- Nightmares/night terrors
- Unusual waking at night
- Difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep
- Resistance to sleep