October 09, 2020
Houston, Texas – HCA Houston Healthcare, an affiliate of HCA Healthcare, one of the nation’s leading healthcare providers, today announced it has collaborated with EVERFI, an international technology company driving social change through education, to launch an interactive, mental health and wellness digital education course for middle and high school students in conjunction with Mental Illness Awareness Week.
HCA Houston Healthcare is part of HCA Healthcare, a leader in behavioral health with the knowledge and data from nearly 200,000 annual behavioral health patient encounters that enable the organization to make positive advances in educating the community about mental illness.
The course, Mental Wellness Basics, is targeted to reach more than 12,000 middle and high school students in an estimated 105 school districts in southeast Florida, western North Carolina, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri and Texas. HCA Healthcare is investing nearly $1 million over the next three years to sponsor the course.
“HCA Houston Healthcare is proud to partner with EVERFI to increase awareness and be a part of the broader mental wellness solution for our youth,” said HCA Houston Healthcare Chief Nurse Executive, Kelli Nations. “We continue to strive for better mental wellness, not only within our communities but also for our colleagues.”
Nations adds the investment and collaboration with EVERFI deepens HCA Houston Healthcare’s commitment to promote whole person wellness and respond to the growing need for mental health education in the community.
Mental Wellness Basics is designed to provide teachers with the additional curriculum to equip students in grades eight to 10 with the knowledge and skills necessary to build, maintain and promote positive mental health in themselves and their peers. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), one in six U.S. youth (ages 6 to 17) experience a mental health disorder each year. The course provides learners with accurate information about mental health disorders, the sharing of peer experiences with mental illness and messaging that treatment is effective and available.
“It is critical to approach the challenge of mental health with awareness from all perspectives,” said EVERFI Founder and President, Jon Chapman. “We wanted to design an educational program that benefits those who are impacted by mental health challenges, those who want to build and maintain positive mental health, and those who have the opportunity to positively impact the mental health of a friend or peer.”
HCA Healthcare also has a long-standing collaboration with the Jason Foundation whose primary mission is the prevention of youth/young adult suicide. This collaboration provides educational resources and youth suicide prevention training to students, parents and teachers in our communities.
In addition, HCA Houston Healthcare increased essential access to mental wellness resources for colleagues during the COVID-19 pandemic, including:
- Nurse Care: a unique and confidential mental health program for the needs of HCA Healthcare hospital-based nurses.
- PsychHub: a COVID-19 mental health resource hub, created by a national mental health coalition to meet the mental health needs of individuals during this pandemic.
- Beacon Health Wellbeing Program: a program where employees can schedule confidential in-person, phone or video call sessions with a licensed counselor.
- Bright Horizons Care Advantage: access to programs to support employees looking for a babysitter, nanny, support for a special needs child, elder care provider, dog walker or housekeeper.
- Doctor on Demand: a telemedicine app currently free for all employees and their dependents that connects them with board-certified physicians via video on a smartphone, tablet or computer. In addition to colds, sinus infections and skin and eye conditions, physicians can provide care for anxiety, depression and stress.
- American Nurses Association COVID-19 Resource Center: access to tools that support the mental health and resilience of nurses by the American Nurses Foundation.
For more information about HCA Healthcare’s collaboration with EVERFI, please email Community.Engagement@HCAhealthcare.com.