Physical therapy and rehabilitation
Our outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation program is designed to help patients recover from surgery, injury or disease. At HCA Houston Healthcare Medical Center, we offer a continuum of therapy services in order to tailor medical care to each individual.
Patients may be referred to one of our rehabilitation programs by a licensed medical doctor. This includes primary care physicians, neurologists, neurosurgeons, otolaryngologists, internists and family practice physicians.
For more information, please call (713) 527-5451.
Speech, language and voice program
The speech, language and voice program focuses on improving functional communication skills within a patient’s home, work and social environment. All evaluations and treatments are performed by a speech-language pathologist.
Our speech, language and voice program is ideal for patients who have or have suffered from:
- Brain injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
The program begins with an initial evaluation to assess a patient’s needs, performed by a speech-language pathologist. Augmentative communication devices may be provided as appropriate. Patients may be provided with a variety of therapy techniques, including:
- Expressive language therapy
- Receptive language therapy
- Cognitive retraining for memory
- Thought organization
- Voice therapy
- Articulation therapy
The swallowing program focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of swallowing disorders. Treatment is provided via a comprehensive swallowing evaluation. Treatment is coordinated to maximize the patient’s ability to safely and efficiently handle a normal diet.
Our swallowing program is ideal for patients with oral and/or pharyngeal dysphagia resulting from stroke, brain injury, cancer, Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis.
Services provided in our swallowing program include:
- Clinical swallowing evaluation
- Modified barium swallowing study
- Oral motor therapy
- Tactile thermal stimulation
- Diet modification/education
- Positioning techniques
- Swallowing precautions
Back rehabilitation program
Our back rehabilitation program is dedicated to enhancing and increasing functional mobility, the ability to perform activities of daily living and reducing patient pain.
Our program is ideal for patients with spinal disorders including joint and muscular problems, post-spinal patients, sports injuries and work-related injuries.
The back rehabilitation program at HCA Houston Healthcare Medical Center offers:
- A comprehensive evaluation by a therapist
- Treatment, with emphasis on a manual therapy and exercise based approach
- Modalities used as an adjunct when necessary
- Highly individualized program with patients receiving a comprehensive exercise program
- Education in body mechanics, ergonomic analysis, posture analysis and gait analysis
- Work conditioning
- Recommendations for adaptive equipment and assistive gait devices
Hand and upper extremity program
The hand and upper extremity program at HCA Houston Healthcare Medical Center focuses on rehabilitation of the hands, wrists, forearms, elbows, arms and shoulders. All evaluations are performed by an occupational therapist and conditions are treated by a therapist and therapist assistant.
This program is ideal for patients with injuries resulting from traumatic events, carpal tunnel syndrome, De Quervains, swan neck, mallet finger, claw finger, infectious diseases, burns and neurological conditions.
Services provided by this program include:
- Occupational therapist performs an initial evaluation to assess the patient’s condition.
- The patient is provided with splints if needed.
- The patient may be provided with whirlpool and wound care if needed.
- Exercise programs are gauged to achieve the level of stress needed, based on the patient’s status post-injury or surgery.
- The patient may receive a variety of modalities including manual therapy, ultrasound, functional electric stimulation, scar management, splint fabrication, serial casting, iontophoresis, edema control desensitization and galvanic stimulation.
- Patient education
- Work analysis
- Sensory re-education
- Motor re-education