Stroke is the nation’s third-leading cause of death and the number one cause of adult disability. HCA Houston Healthcare Clear Lake provides the highest continuum of stroke care, from the ER to rehabilitation. We are designated as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by DNV-GL and provide efficient care close to home in Webster, TX before, during and after a stroke.
Types of stroke
At HCA Houston Clear Lake our doctors diagnose and treat three main types of strokes:
- Ischemic strokes - occur when an artery is blocked by a blood clot. Fat, cholesterol and other substances build up in the body over time, which makes it difficult for blood to flow properly to the brain. Approximately 87 percent of all strokes are ischemic.
- Hemorrhagic strokes - occur when a blood vessel in the brain weakens and bursts, this allows blood to leak into the brain. The most common cause of a hemorrhagic stroke is hypertension.
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA) - is a type of mini stroke. TIAs are caused by a temporary clot.
HCA Houston Clear Lake has partnered with EMS agencies to implement an early notification system to notify the ER when they are bringing a possible stroke patient. This allows the ER to activate the stroke team so they are waiting for the patient to arrive.
The earlier the medical intervention the better when it comes to treating a stroke. Rapid diagnosis and treatment in the first few hours after the onset of stroke symptoms is critical as interventional therapies are most successful in this time frame.
Our endovascular neurosurgeons thread tiny catheters into the arteries of the brain to extract clots which cause strokes. This treatment allows for a reversal of damage in patients who arrive too late for intravenous treatment options, but still within eight hours of the onset of symptoms.
According to the American Stroke Association, about 795,000 Americans suffer a new or recurrent stroke each year, meaning a stroke occurs about every 40 seconds. Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability in the U.S., which is why a crucial aspect of stroke recovery is rehabilitation.
HCA Houston Clear Lake offers a stroke program at our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center. We customize treatment plans depending on the stroke’s location, type and severity. Our stroke program includes:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech and language therapy
- Rehabilitation nursing
- Clinical social work
- Case management
The support of loved ones is vital. Families and caregivers are encouraged to participate by attending treatment sessions. The support of loved ones can help stroke survivors achieve their goals, including:
- Increasing independence
- Decreasing pain
- Regaining physical function
- Achieving a satisfying quality of life
- Implementing lifestyle changes to prevent future strokes
Stroke accreditation center
HCA Houston Clear Lake is certified by DNV Healthcare, Inc. as a Comprehensive Stroke Center. This certification improves the quality of care provided to patients, demonstrates commitment to a higher standard of services, provides framework for organizational structure and management, enhances staff recruitment and is recognized by insurers and other third parties.
Stroke at HCA Houston Healthcare
A stroke is a medical emergency where blood flow to the brain is either reduced or stopped, depriving brain tissue of essential oxygen and nutrients. A stroke may cause loss in brain function and affect movement and speech.Learn about Stroke